Friday, July 6, 2012

Rejuvenation Project

Have you met my friend Tora?

Over on Ravelry she calls herself Gypsy Dancer... and she is the artist behind The Art of Notions. Tora makes the most exquisite ceramic yarn bowls. She's taking a little break from it at the moment, but here's some photos of her work which has sold on Etsy.

Anyway, in addition to all of that... Tora is one of my fabulous moderators over at the Laughing Purple Goldfish Designs group on Ravelry. 

At the moment, Tora is hosting the July Rejuvenation Project. The idea is that you take an item of clothing from your 'fix-it' pile, and transform it using either knitting or crochet - into a new wearable piece.

So the first thing on my pile was a pair of bootleg pants belonging to Miss Katie. Check out the left hand side, just above the knee:

Rejuvenation Progect

Nothing fancy... as you can see...

And here's the problem:

Rejuvenation Progect

So I've taken a scrap of leather:

Rejuvenation Progect

And marked out a heart shape, with a crayon of course:

Rejuvenation Progect

Snip, snip:

Rejuvenation Progect

Now I wanted to pre-drill some holes, so I could crochet around the edge. I tried it without thread in my sewing machine... but I couldn't see the holes in the dark leather! So I've stitched around the edge, and will remove the thread as I work" 

Rejuvenation Progect

The plan was to crochet directly into these holes... but I bent my fine hook in the process, so I'm working a blanket stitch around the edge - then I will crochet into that.

Rejuvenation Progect

Rejuvenation Progect

Working some single crochet around the edge:

Rejuvenation Progect

And a few picots, too:

Rejuvenation Progect

Rejuvenation Progect

Of course, as soon as this patch was stitched in place.. .I discovered two holes in the other leg!

Rejuvenation Progect

So I worked up a few motifs:

Rejuvenation Progect

Plus this:

Rejuvenation Progect

And we're done!

Rejuvenation Progect

Now what will YOU rejuvenate this month???

No comments: