Saturday, November 21, 2009

hometown square

november - craftster - closeup

I feel like all I seem to be working on at the moment is these squares... It's not that I'm not enjoying them, it's just that I'm no longer inspired by them. But the end is near, and I'm really excited to see the finished project.

Not only that, but I have signed up to do it all again next year!

The 2010 Block-A-Month Crochet-A-Long Group is already up and running over at Ravelry. I'm thinking that next year I might make the rug in more neutral colours... and include a combination of 6 inch and 12 inch squares. Then again... the new year is still a month-and-a-half away... that's plenty of time for me to change direction and decide to go with an entirely different plan.

Everyone is welcome to join in the 2010 BAM CAL. If you are already a member at Ravelry, click here to go directly to the group page. If you are not a member at Ravelry... maybe you should be! It's a very inspiring place.

Anyway... getting back to the details of this square. It's called the Hometown Square by Mary McKnight, and you can click here for the free online pattern. I've used a 4.5mm aluminium hook, and a variety of DK weight reclaimed yarns.

Didn't really enjoy this one much. The petal section really annoyed me. It wouldn't sit flat, and kept jumping up - which made it look ridiculous.

So I made a modification. After I completed the square, I went back to the petal section and worked an addition round to finish off the petals. If you look at the photo, you will see the lighter blue petals, which were part of the original pattern. I then added the navy trim around them. That weighted them down, and gave the flower a more finished look.

november - craftster

1 comment:

Anabelle said...

very nice! I can't wait to get mine together either! :)